Friday, April 27, 2012

Time flies when you're [in med school]

At 10am this morning, by handing in my psych self exam, I officially completed my 3rd year of medical school.  I am now 3/4 of the way to my MD!

However, I am also officially taking a year off to do research next year, which means I'm on the 5 year medical school path.  So I guess I'm really just 3/5 of the way to my MD.  I'm really excited about the research I'll be doing and the city I'll be living in.  I'm a bit relived that I now have a little more time, and will have more exposure, before having to faithfully decide on obgyn.  Plus, it is allowing me to feel like I'm doing everything in my power to make up for my [first attempt] failed step 1 score.  I'll never actually know if it'll make a difference in my life path, but at the same time I can't imagine that it'll hurt anything! A year to re-learn spanish, exercise, sleep regular hours, travel, cook/eat healthy, socialize with friends, be close to family, ....  what is not to love?! 

I can't believe it has already been a year since I started on the wards!  A year since I wrote this post.  A year later, I still struggle with empathy, compassion, and time management.  While I still feel like I know nothing, I can also tell that I've become more proficient in presenting patients and writing progress notes.  I am better at answering questions.  I have learned to suture, catch a baby, drive a laproscopic camera, do complete neurological and psychological exams, and so much more.  I am also learning to forgive myself when I make a mistake, make an idiot out of myself, and when I have a visceral emotional response to my surroundings.  One year down on the wards and a life time to go.  Every day I spend with patients, I become more and more excited that this is my life!

1 comment:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.