Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dear Doctor Anonymous,

Thank you.  Thank you for this post on state mandated transvaginal ultrasounds.  Thank you for expressing your outrage so eloquently in writing.  Thank you for remembering that the patient is the one and only priority in this equation.  Thank you for remembering your responsibility to your patient as their physician. 

As a patient, I hope that all physicians I see are like you, focusing on evidence based medicine practices and not on conservative politics.  As a future physician, and a future provider, I hope to be like you.  I pray that I don't forget the power of my actions, a problem that I have seen some physicians fall victim to.  I hope that, like you, I can keep my patients in the focus and remember that a little civil disobedience can go a long way when necessary.

Thank you,
me

update: A friend pointed me to another article
'We Have No Choice': One Woman's Ordeal with Texas' New Sonogram Law posted in the Texas Observer on March 15th, that is very much worth the read.

1 comment:

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

Thank you for sharing this. It's such an important thing to be talking about (and acting on) as physicians.