Thursday, July 21, 2011

Remember "O157:H7"

Increasingly often I seem to forget that I had a life before medical school.  Sure, I can recall my childhood, past experiences, and the different cities I lived in; but I forget the knowledge I acquired and the details of my other hobbies and interest.  A friend recently sent me an email asking about digital cameras which took me off guard.  My thought process consisted of: "Why is she asking me about cameras?!  Oh ya, I was a photography [and anthropology] major in undergrad.  I guess I should know something about this."  It took me days to respond, days to tap back into that old part of my brain and even still the response lacked finesse.  Talking about shutter speed, and apertures, and developing tricks used to be so second nature...

Dr. Goljan jokes that one should forget their own phone number in order to remember "O157:H7".  I'm beginning to think that it is a sarcastic joke, painfully illuminating what acquiring medical knowledge does to the rest of your brain.  Where does all that former knowledge go when it is replaced by pathophysiology and pharmacology?  Does previous knowledge come back when I reach residency? Post-residency &/or fellowship?  This [shiny pretty object] is your brain, this [deflated balloon/fried egg] is your brain on medical school...

No comments: