Thursday, July 14, 2011

Being a lazy activist

I don't really have the time or energy right now to touch on current events in the way I'd like.  Due to step studying, I barely know what is going on in the world outside my window.  [Luckily, state congress is on summer break so access to reproductive health is not overtly being stripped away while I hide away inside.]  But, I wanted to lazily share a few recent [AMAZING] news articles, all of which happen to be from The New York Times. There was "First Study of Its Kind Shows Benefits of Providing Medical Insurance to Poor" published on July 7th.  There was an absolutely brilliant, and light-harted yet equally heavy piece,  "The Good Short Life With A.L.S." about how we face death in our society- really hitting on the need for open communication throughout one's life.  "New for Aspiring Doctors, the People Skills Test" takes a critical look at how medical students are screened in our country, and what some schools are doing in hopes of finding applicants with more people skills.  I personally hope that my own medical school would adopt such innovative interviewing methods.

No comments: