Monday, February 14, 2011

Accepting mediocrity

This morning I took my last department written exam of 2nd year pathology. The completion of this exam is making it very apparent how quickly my pre-clinical years are coming to an end. My first 2 years of medical school have taught me one thing in particular: how to accept mediocrity. I am far from the top of my class, and likely not even in the top 1/2 of my class. I am a total mediocre, completely average, yet well rounded medical student. What I have learned though is that p=md and that spending time to be a complete person is important in becoming a well-rounded and humane doctor. Because I am only average, and not superwoman, I can't save the world if I don't take care of myself.

Tomorrow morning I plan to take a half-length mock STEP 1. While getting a completely mediocre score on it is more than acceptable, especially seeing as I have 2 more months to study, I pray that my score is at least mediocre. My goal: simple to pass this time around. If I pass tomorrow the next 2 months will be challenging but bearable, but if I don't? I guess that I'll cross that bridge if I have to...

No comments: