Thursday, May 23, 2013

Goal: stay up right, don't get hurt

The charity bike ride is this weekend.  It will be the biggest physical challenge I think I’ve ever attempted.  That is assuming that I ride more than 20 miles.  Therefore, I’m terrified.  I am so touched that my friends and family have donated so much money to support me, which I interpret to be either because they believe I can do it or they are in shock that I’m even trying. 
 
Seeing as I was basically a non-bike rider at the start of this (not learning to ride a bike until I was 19, never having ridden more than 2 or 3 miles at a time, and not having been on a bike in 3 or 4 years) I have 2 main goals:
1)      Stay on my bike
2)      Don’t get hurt
Actually, as long as I don’t get hurt, I’m not really sure staying on my bike is even that important.  The full ride is either 80 miles or a 120 depending on the course you choose.  My housemates are all doing the shorter 80 mile option and so that’s what I’m planning on too.  Even if I only make it one day, 40 miles, that will still be a new achievement for me.  Need to focus on small victories and not be disappointed when I don’t complete all 120 miles… that can be next time, right?
I just want to have fun.  Really, I want to not be anxious about this ride and to have fun.  Sun, endorphins, friendship & comradely, a post-ride massage scheduled – this really could be fun! 

1 comment:

EmFish said...

I am extremely proud of you.
love,
me