Friday, November 26, 2010

Coming out as a future abortion provider

I recently told my 92 year old grandma that I plan to provide abortions as part of my future career. While my grandma is fairly liberal, she rarely talks about her feelings on political issues. She is highly critical of the world she lives in yet she remains very tight lipped about her opinions. Our family seems to have a "don't ask don't tell" policy when it comes to conversations with depth.

As one of the most important people in my life, and as someone who brags that her granddaughter is becoming a doctor, I felt it was really important for her to know the whole story. I want her to be proud of this too. I want her to know that I'm going through this all in hopes of providing comprehensive care to my future patients. I really want to know how she feels about abortion. I also really want to know what she's seen and experienced in her life: pre & post the 2nd wave feminist movement, pre & post roe v. wade, pre & post having children of her own.

Since I didn't have the guts to tell her out of the blue, I sent her a copy of "This Common Secret" with a long note from me. We have yet to really talk about it in depth but she did thank me for sending it to her and did say enough for me to know that she supports me.

In response to all of this, a friend sent me the following card from someecards. I feel thankful for family & friends.
Funny Congratulations Ecard: Congratulations on finally telling your grandma you're saving the world from ugly babies.

No comments: