Sunday, July 25, 2010

underachiever

"I'll be in the student lounge studying all week" is a common statement to hear from my classmates, especially the week before an exam. However, hearing it from a classmate today, TODAY which is still SUMMER vacation, a week before classes even begin for the year, was like a punch to the stomach. That's it, I am an underachiever. But I am not. I am just seizing the opportunity to spend the summer free of studying; though not free of: clinical research, shadowing physicians, planning extra curricular programing for the fall, and remembering what if feels like to be a real human being in the multidisciplinary outside world.

I WILL enjoy my last week of summer and I will not let my peers make me feel like an underachiever. My challenge this year is going to be finding a way not to compare myself to my classmates. I need to do the best I can for myself and my future patients. Spending hours agonizing over how much they are studying, the amount of details they seem to retain that I don't. and comparing exam scores will not help. In fact, I'm pretty sure such things would make me go insane. Me going insane? Well, that wouldn't be good for anyone involved.

No comments: