Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Waiting game

I've never had much luck with wait lists.  It started all the way back when I applied to boarding school for 9th grade.  I didn't get off that wait list, didn't get off for college, or for medical school, and it now appears I didn't get off the wait list for my first choice residency program who is having their last interview day today.    I know from previous experience that it all works out okay.  I ended up where I am now because of the way things turned out.  I'm pretty proud of the place I'm at. 

Still,  I'm worried.  I feel pretty confident that I'll match.  I just have a good gut feeling about it.  However, I don't have any interviews in the cities I was most interested in moving to and I still don't feel like I have enough interviews overall.  The median number of places ranked for US seniors that matched in ob/gyn last year was 11.  I'm below that number.

The most frustrating part is that on the interviews I've gone on, especially the local ones, they make comments assuming that I have my pick of residency.  Clearly they are only looking at my CV and not step scores.  My CV and recommendations alone make me look like a pretty stellar candidate.  If they saw my first failed step 1 - then they'd know the truth that I'm pretty screwed in this process.  I'm still going to make a damn good doctor, and hopefully be a ob/gyn, but likely not in the location(s) I had originally imagined for myself. 

I can't believe it is already December.  I can't believe I still have so few interviews.  I don't really know how I'm going to last until match day on March 21st.  Trying to take deep breaths and keep waiting. 

No comments: