Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Step 2 CS

I'm taking step 2 CS this weekend.  I keep waffling between feeling completely confident in my ability to rock it, and totally scarred that I'm going to majorly f*ck up somehow and screw myself over.

I did more than fine on my school's OSCE exam.  I did well with all my 3rd year clerkship rotations.  I've had 3 years of practice with standardized patient encounters.  I know how to speak English and have a decent amount of empathy. 

Yet, I haven't touched an actual patient in 2.5 months.  I have no real motivation to study, working through First Aid for CS at a snail's pace... not sure I'm going to finish it before the exam.  Concerned I'm going to forget how to take a comprehensive history, come up with a differential, or write a note.

Ugh!  Medical school = one humbling hurdle and/or act of hazing after another.  I can do this, right?!

2 comments:

EmFish said...

you can do this!
my new job is totally overwhelming. But I know that if i take it one day at a time, it is manageable. Same thing with you! This one exam is beatable. Everything else you can save for another day.
love and shana tova.

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

Absolutely. Good luck! And your statement about medical school being equal to "one humbling hurdle and/or act of hazing after another" is so very true. Sadly, it doesn't end at medical school.