Sunday, March 20, 2011

huh?

I got a (stupid) chain email from my mom today. It stated:

"This year we're going to experience four unusual dates. 1/1/11, 1/11/11, 11/1/11, 11/11/11 and that's not all... Take the last two digits of the year in which you were born -now add the age you will be this year, and the result will be 111 for everyone...!! "

While I normally don't give these emails any time or attention, I'm curios. How is the 111 possible? It works for me (84 + 27 = 111), does it work for others? Can anyone explain?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, it works for people born *before* 1999, because you have to carry the one. Essentially, the current year is "nineteen-eleventy-one", so if you add your age (i.e. the difference between your birth year and now) TO your birth year, you get eleventy-one. MAGIC! -- But if you were born in 2009, and thus will be 2 this year, then you only get eleven, not eleventy-one.