Sunday, June 16, 2013

Object Permanence

Last month, after reading Julia Levy's article about going on 30 first dates in the month before she turned 30, I decided that I also needed to set such a goal.  Mine: to have 30 first dates, or at least new introductions, in the next 10 months before I turn 30.  This is my way of dealing with the most recent breakup.  This is also my way to telling the world that I am fully open and willing to meet someone special (again). 

Really though, I'm scared of turning 30 single.  I'm even more scared of starting residency single.  What if I end up in a place without queer Jews to date?  When will I have time to meet people in residency?!  What if I meet someone living elsewhere, and neither of us can move until residency is over?  Who will support me through the hell of the transition into residency?  Who will be the first person I share my match results with?!  Anyhow, I digress.

One month into this mission and I'm at 2 of 30:
1. The first was an email introduction from a friend which has led to some nice conversation back and forth.  It is enjoyable but who knows when we'll ever actually meet face-to-face... Pointless?  Maybe.  But a least the emails are fun to write and read.
2. The second was a coffee date this morning with someone I met online.  She was lovely and conversation was easy, but, and it is a big BUT, I'm only here another week before embarking on 2 months of aways.  She's only here for the summer.  Is she worth changing my schedule around (sacrificing sleep) to try to see her again?  I don't think so.

Now I'm wondering if this is a futile mission all together.  My 4th year schedule has me pretty nomadic for the entirety of the year.  While I am not opposed to long distance relationships, long distance dating is a whole other creature.  An unconquerable beast.  How does one date and start a more serious relationship when they don't have any stability to their life and everything is a big unknown?  Knowing what my schedule looks like, and how people react when I talk about my plans for the year, I can't imagine there is any possibility that I won't still be single a year from now.

No comments: